Saturday, April 26, 2014

Hello Again!

Hello Again! Happy Saturday! It's been a while since I've blogged. I hope that all has been well with you. Life has done nothing short of running at record speed since the death of my sister. I have wanted to blog many times, but just have not been able to organize my thoughts enough to sit and type them out. So much has happened since the end of February, but grieving has seemed to fill most of the space in time. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts, emails and cards that we have received. Your friendships mean more than words can say...

My sister died at the end of February and a day has not gone by when I have not thought of her. We used to speak several times a week and it has been odd to not read an email from her or be able to pick up the phone to hear her voice. I miss that the most. From time to time she would email me with typos on my blog or about a post that I have written, so today I dedicate this post to my sister Tammy. Tammy was an Ovarian Cancer survivor for eighteen years. She went to chemo for fifteen years and died waiting for open heart surgery. She was extremely organized and lived her life in a hurry. Tammy was independent, yet at the same time very empty and hollow inside. She used to drive fast, rush through the grocery store and move through a to do list quicker than any person I ever knew. My sister and I were different people, with different dreams and aspirations. She was tall and beautiful and I petite and very plain. We didn't always get along as all siblings have their differences, but she was my big sister and was there for me when there was no one else. Life is just so short. 

We moved at the beginning of this month back to our old neighborhood. We have surrounded ourselves with friends and neighbors that we love and cherish. It feels good to be back again. This time my sewing room is in the living room! I will post pictures as soon as it gets a bit more organized. I hope to start to get back to sewing again soon and sew my way back to feeling happy again.

Before we moved, I made some fabric baskets for some swaps and clubs that I am active with online. The two fabric baskets below were fore some monthly birthday clubs on Flickr and Instagram.
The next two fabric basket pictures below are of one of the Pay it Forward baskets for a woman on Instagram. 
 
The final project below was for a Flickr Swap called the Friendship Bag Swap. This was made for Pam and I decided to make it without handles to be more functional. Pam picked the colors and theme for her friendship bag!
I have fallen behind on the Birthday Club and want to apologize. A mass mailing will go out by Mid May catching up on all of the belated packages. You have not been forgotten, just life got in the way for a while. Pay it Forward Baskets will begin to be made once I get caught up on my Bee Blocks. My goal is to start sewing again this weekend and get back in the swing of things! The signup form is live on Flickr for Round Five of the DS Doll Quilt Swap! This is an international swap and all are welcome. Please visit the Flickr Group to learn more! If you would like to join the Monthly Fabric Swap Group on Flickr the sign up for the May swap is now open! This swap is strictly a fabric, notions and candy swap. The swap is international and all are welcome! I will be posting a Giveaway tomorrow. Have a Happy Saturday and Happy Quilting!

19 comments:

suemac said...

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure it is hard to get back into a sewing groove with all that has gone on.

Needled Mom said...

It's so good to see a few words from you again, Leona. The grieving does fill all voids, but I am so glad to read that you are going to get back to your beautiful sewing again. Life is definitely too short.

Maria said...

It is sew nice to see you popping up again Leona. Yes I know how you feel about loosing you dear Sister. I miss mine too but it is good to see you are getting back into your sewing.
Take care
Huge hugs
Maria

CathyK said...

It is wonderful to see you blogging again. This is an important first step for you. While I do not comment often, I do read your blog each time you post. I felt I needed to comment here. I shared in your last post that I lost my brother to cancer when he was just 28 and I was 27 (I am now 50). The grieving process does take time and no two people grieve the same. The important thing to remember is that the memories you had together are cherished and that your loved one wanted you to be happy. Perhaps you could think of sewing as a way to honor your sister's memory and carry on your love for each other. Just a thought. I think of my brother daily and I sometimes do a chore in honor of him. It helps me. Please know I send hugs to you and I know you will be stronger and happier as time goes on. This post was the first step! :-)

Bri said...

So glad to see you back on your blog. I always enjoy your blog posts and Instagram posts. Take care and just do what feels right...

Corrie said...

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. Glad you are getting settled back into your previous city. That's great that you know many and have some support. Take it a day at a time, that's all you can do. She sounds like a fighter and had much to deal with. Hugs to you Leona and we'll all remember Tammy through you.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Good to see you back!

Anita said...

I am so sorry for your loss. This is such sad news. I hope the sewing helps you to feel a bit better. It usually helps me feel better. I'm sure everyone understands why you have not been sewing lately.

Lisa said...

It makes my heart sing to see you are posting again!
Tammy is always in your heart so she is not really gone, she will always be with you in your heart! This is what I believe and hope it reminds you to think of the memories in your heart and not be so sad.

She would want you to sew and blog and be your wonderful self! I am sorry for your loss!

charlotte said...

I also am happy you are back. I am so sorry for your loss. Only time can dull the pain. Sewing is great therapy. Be good to yourself.

Joan said...

Glad to see that you are back, but so sorry for your loss. May your wonderful memories of your sister help ease your pain.

Beezus said...

Glad to hear from you. I've sat in the chemo chair, so I have to say wow! I can't imagine doing it for so long. I'm sorry that you lost your sister but I'm glad you're back where you feel at home.

Carol said...

I'm so sorry about your sister and know it must be hard not to have your regular connection with her. I hope it gets better each day. Those baskets are beautiful!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It takes a very long time to adjust after such a huge loss...With each passing day, it gets easier, but it is never easy. =( My heart goes out to you.

Your baskets are very beautiful. =)

Kristine said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing one of my sisters.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I was thinking of you last week. I was going to give you another week before I contacted you to see if you were ok. Glad you got moved.

Carol J said...

I can`t even imagine what you have been through, but it is good to see you back :) Hope you get settled in nicely... (((HUGS)))

SewCalGal said...

Big hug Leona. Very big hug.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Lee said...

I am happy for your move! Good to be around friends! Have a lovely day!